Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writer's Workshop

It is time to stretch the creative writing muscles and join in with MamaKat's Writer's Workshop again! This week's prompts are a lot harder than last week's and since nothing jumped out at me I considered playing hooky. But who am I so slink away from a challenge!



So to let yall know just what I am up against this week, I decide to share all five prompts and my personal process of elimination with you.



The Prompts:

1.) If you were starring on American Idol TONIGHT and HAD to sing, what song would you choose and why.

2.) Take a picture of yourself right this minute without primping and explain to us why it is you have not washed your hair today.

3.) I just asked Pat to help me with a writing prompt so here's his: "What do you think about the NBA All Star game"...blech.

4.) What's your number one pet peeve? Develop a punishment for anyone caught in the act.

5.) Write about something mean you did to a sibling growing up.


Okay, so I clearly cannot write about #1 because I think American Idol is the biggest waste of prime time television ever!

I picked #2, but you are going to have to wait for that one. And don't scroll down to the gross picture of me at the bottom of this post without reading it first!!

For #3, I don't actually have any knowledge of that topic so my writing would be limited to "I think it is a basketball game."

As for #4, I have a lot of pet peeves and I thought narrowing it down and then trying to think of a punishment (other than bodily harm) was too daunting of a task. But after thinking about for a minute, I have thought up an appropriate (and humane) punishment for my current biggest pet peeve so I will share it with you. You never know, you may have the same pet peeve I do! Mine is that I HATE when strangers give me unsolicited parenting advice in public! Seriously, who knows my kid better: me or you! When you see me in the grocery store and my child(ren) is having a complete meltdown don't tsk at me and then proceed to tell me that my child needs a nap, a snack, tylenol, a tissue, etc. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps my child is just being a brat and what she really needs is a good spanking! MYOB! I think all unsolicited advice givers should have to immediately write a check for $500 made out to my child's college fund!

#5. Since I already, indirectly mentioned a sort of mean thing that I did to one of my siblings in last week's Writer's Workshop, I decided to steer clear of this one!


So, on to the good stuff: an embarrassing picture of me! Drumroll, please...... Tada!





So in this picture, my hair is not strictly unwashed. You may think that is cheating but honestly, I have to wash my hair everyday. I look like Professor Snape when I don't. Greasy, greasy! And sometimes shower time is the only alone time I get all day! I can't give that up! Most days, like today, it isn't even alone time because those little boogers precious angels are big enough to work the doorknobs now! But I digress...

I don't think this is cheating because other than washing it, I did nothing else to primp whatsoever today: no product, no styling, no makeup (*gasp*)! Very unlike me!! The reason for this gross oversight to my appearance is that I am really sick! I am congested, light headed, achy, short of breath and I have a very painful barking cough! I can't even close my mouth all of the way, because I would suffocate! So I really just didn't think getting pretty was worth the effort today. I might have actually skipped the showering/hair washing too but I felt that the cold sweat that forced me to change my pajamas in the middle of the night demanded it. (That is probably TMI but I really need for you all to know that I am not a cheater!) And what's even worse is that I have gone out in public like this today! Why would I go out in public when I feel so crappy? Because no matter how I feel, I am still the mommy. And my sweet Emma Jane felt even worse so I took her to the doctor. :(

Aren't I a good mommy for putting my child's well being above my own vanity? ;)

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

mommy Memories said...

So sorry you guys are sick, get better soon !

blueviolet said...

You still look good, especially for being sick. I hope everyone gets better at your place soon!

Krystyn said...

Yes, of course you are a good mother! And, you look better than I do:)

I would be so rich for that $500. I was out with Emily at the outlets, and Natalie was crying, and a lady said "Somebody's hungry!" My response? "I just fed her. Thanks."

Seriously, would I be pushing my hungry 3 month old around screaming so I could buy some shoes? I think not!

Megan R. said...

I think you look great! I wouldn't have known you were sick!!

I used to be the queen of ALWAYS having my hair done and make up on, no matter what. Um, yeah. Then I had a kid. I do manage to shower and do my hair every day, but my make up is sitting sad and abandoned in the bathroom. Since I'm just home all day (I have a day care kiddo too), I'd rather used that 10 minutes for sleep in the morning!

Michelle said...

That is what you look like sick, without primping? I am jealous!

April said...

I agree with Michelle. Jealous!

Simply AnonyMom said...

Sorry you are sick. However I think you look very nice.

Summer said...

If only we could all look that good sick and unprimped!

Lucky girl!

Aaron said...

Here's a response you might consider the next time a stranger gives you advice:

"It's true that he/she [insert whatever they shouldn't be doing here], but [child's name] has an inoperable tumor in his/her brain and the doctor says he/she only has a few more months. Do you think I should [insert some insane punishment or way to deprive your child of the current joy they have]?"

Works every time :)

Emily said...

No makeup! Wow...that's a first for you! lol. You still look great!
And I totally hate unauthorized advice at the grocery store too!

Namine said...

I wonder what the person would say if you told them they owed you a cheque for 500 bucks!!
Gonna check out your sib story!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

No, your ok. I checked the rules and if you have already washed it you are allowed to compete.

Becky said...

I totally agree with you about the unsolicited advice. Although I don't get much of it because I can give a super evil stare to anyone that opens their mouth near me in public.

*gasp* I wait the entire off season for American Idol to come back on. I'm practically quivering the first half of January... hmmm... sounds like withdrawal. Good thing you don't watch, its addictive.

Your pic looks pretty good considering how crappy you felt. Get well soon. :-)