Thursday, February 12, 2009

Writer's Workshop

Mama Kat over at Mama's Losin' It is hosting a writer's workshop and since one of the prompts really spoke to me this week, I decide to participate! So here it goes:



1.) What was the first CD (or record or cassette) you ever purchased? Write about the way that particular album made you feel then. Write about how it makes you feel now.



I clearly remember the first cassette tape I ever bought! Just thinking about it is making me smile. The year was 1990 and I was ten years old. My family was living at the small army post of Ft. Knox at the time and I remember feeling so grown up when I rode my bike, with my friend Sandra, to the PX to buy this tape. (For those of you who are not army brats, PX means Post Exchange and it is army's version of Kmart.) I am not entirely sure where I got the money. I got a small allowance but it is also entirely possible that I lifted ten bucks off of my sister. I was a devious child! Sorry, Cay! The cassette tape that was worth stealing for (not that I am admitting to doing that) was, of course, Step by Step by New Kids on the Block!

I, like ever other young girl in America, loved the New Kids! I had a HUGE pre-adolescent crush on Jordan Knight!! Sadly, I never got to see them in concert. *sigh* I am pretty sure I wasn't allowed to go. Thinking of the New Kids and the mania that was sweeping the pre-teen nation at the time brings back another, related memory. I remember collecting buttons was cool and it was even cooler to decorate the back of a stone washed jean jacket with as much flair as possible! I had a Donnie Wahlberg button. I don't know why it wasn't a Jordan button. Maybe the PX was out of him that day. But I do remember wearing my New Kids on the Block button with pride! Especially to really cool places like the roller skating rink!

I was really excited when I heard that the boys were getting back together for a reunion tour. All of those preteen, first crush feelings came rushing back and I thought, "finally I will get to see them in concert!" I was ready to pull out New Kids paraphernalia and relive the glory days...

...And then I heard their comeback single, Summertime.

Should have left it in the 90s, boys!

11 comments:

Dan said...

There are some groups that should never get back together and try to recapture stardom. Your band is unfortunately one of them. {*grin*}

I have to admit that I never did listen to NKOTB. Not surprising given we had a < 1year old in 1990.

Hopefully there will be another group that important to you that gets back together so you can go to their concert. (And maybe take your sister?)

Krystyn said...

That's too funny. I don't know what's funnier....the fact that you bought NKOTB, or that you took the money from your sister to do it!

Glad you didn't waste your money on that concert!

emily said...

Too funny!! When I was reading this, I totally remembered how, in 1990, I wanted to go to their concert so bad with my friend Emily Roberts and her older sister. That idea totally did not go over well with my parents and I never saw them in concert. Oh well!

Jenners said...

Visiting from Mama Kat's ...

This was so funny! Loved the ending! Some things from childhood should be left in the past ... and NKOTB is proabaly one of them!

Jen said...

*swoon* New Kids on the Block! *swoon*
Thanks for taking me back.

heidi said...

Oh yeah - I never did the NKOTB thing. Wasn't my scene. I heard they're new single - saw them on some awards show and about laughed my pants off. What a JOKE!

Sera said...

New Kids on the Block...oh, the memories. Are you totally psyched up about their reunion? They rocked. They were so cheesy, but I thought they were awesome back in the day. Thanks for stopping by my blog - your kiddos are SO cute!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

My sister was a huge fan, but I didn't quite get into them or their music. I remember she had posters splashed on her wall. Too funny!

Talitha said...

who gave you permission to ride your bike to the PX???

Namine said...

it's funny you lifted the money from your sister!
Was it a good tape?

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色