Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flashback - The First Encounter

My IRL friend, Danielle, has issued a Flashback challenge! She wants to know all about your first date with your spouse. Since I love telling this story, I am happy to oblige!


Now before I can tell you about our first date, I have to tell you how we met.


Way back in the fall of 2002, I moved to Atlanta, GA for my first post-college job. At this time in my life, I was over dating! Done with it! I had just spent the last 4 years dating for the sake of dating and I was through! Fully prepared and ready to spend the next few years enjoying being single, focusing on my students and my recently recommitted walk with God! I even told my father that I trusted his judgement and was not opposed to an arranged marriage! (Okay, I think I have made my point. Back on track now!)


So with this attitude, I joined a church and a small group and made some incredible friends including Emily and Stephanie. Every Sunday night, the church I was attending had a singles group called Impact and that quickly became part of my weekly routine!


But before I go any further I have to give you a little insight into my personality. Because sometimes I say things that make complete sense to those that know me but sound totally off the wall if you don't. I tend to judge couples out in public based on how they look together. Not on their physical appearance as individuals but more on whether or not they look good together. Basically if I couldn't picture how a couple's children might look I questioned their compatibility. I know that it makes no sense but I am telling you this because I had a habit of judging random guys on whether I thought we would have pretty kids. Not that I wanted to date any of these guys, it was just one of those quirky things I said and those that knew me were used to it. I am giving you access to this embarrassing piece of information because it is pertinent to my first encounter with my hubby. Don't worry, Brad does come into this story soon!


So one night at Impact, I was talking to my girlfriends when out of the corner of my eye I see a tasty piece of man candy across the room. I think my mouth actually dropped open! I remember grabbing Emily's shoulder and saying "Wow, now he and I would definitely have beautiful children together!" Emily, being used to these comments, glanced over and said "Yeah you're right, let's move closer so you can see his nametag. Maybe we can talk to him." Well, I didn't get to talk to him that night. And the next week, he wasn't at Impact. Or the week after that. After a month, I had all but forgotten about him.


One Friday night, I was out with my girlfriends. (Now usually I say Brad and I met at a restaurant, but lets be honest...it was after 10pm in Buckhead on a Friday night and a band was playing. While East Andrews may serve food during dinner hours, it was for all intents and purposes a bar!) Brad was also out with some of his friends at this same establishment and our groups paths crossed. I spent several minutes talking to a guy who looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite place him.


And then the lightbulb went off!!!


I extracted myself from the conversation and went to find Emily. The following conversation took place:


Me: Em, do you know who I was just talking too?
E: Some cute guy.
Me: No, i was talking to Brad!
E: Okay, some cute guy named Brad.
Me: No, I was talking to BRAD!
E: (lightbulb) You mean beautiful children Brad!!!
Me: Yes!!
E: So why are you over here talking to me when you should be talking to him!!!


Good point!


So I rejoined the group and, not wanting to be to obvious or forward, spent equal time talking to everyone. Poor Brad spent the better part of the night not sure whether I liked him or his friend Mark. He ask for my number anyways and a week later we had our first date!


He took me to a trendy little restaurant in Midtown called Apre Diem. This was one of those restaurants that is so dark you can hardly see the menu. As I was looking over the menu, Brad announced that he was getting the tortellini. The cheapest thing on the menu. I did not know at the time that he wasn't being cheap, he just actually really likes tortellini! I of course didn't want to order something more expensive than him, so I ordered tortellini too. And didn't really enjoy my dinner! Afterwards we went to a movie. Brad graciously let me pick the movie. A decision he has come to rue! I picked Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and since then it has become a tradition that Brad has to go see every Harry Potter movie with me. He hasn't read the books and can't keep up with the story so he usually sleeps during the movies.


I had a great time on our date and by our second date I was head over heels in love with him! (He didn't quite feel the same about me yet, but that is another story!)


Want to share your story too? Visit Danielle and sign Mr. Linky!

8 comments:

Tonya said...

That is a cute story. I linked up on Danielle site!

Krystyn said...

What a sweet story to share with your kiddos one day.

Emily said...

I'm so laughing remembering your obsession with beautiful children Brad! In fact, I can hardly look at Brad without remembering that and laughing!

Emily said...

Oh, and I really think that you should change your caption underneath Brad's picture to say "beautiful children Brad"!

Wayne said...

Great flashback I thought it was funny how you said about your jaw hitting the floor when you saw the eye candy man lol

Luke, Morgan and Ella said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Brad the same way again. That's a great story!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Such a cute story and a great idea to share flashbacks...I might have to join in next time at your friend, Danielle's blog!

Anonymous said...

You guys have a beautiful family. Beautiful in many ways and truly blessed. Of course Brad is a great child developer, and a nice guy along with it. But, I'm biased. B's mom