Thursday, February 5, 2009

Blogstyle Iron Chef - Chili

Photobucket
Iron Chef has come to Blogger, courtesy of Heidi at Sacred and Profane! This month's recipe is all about chili! I actually have several chili recipes that I use but I decided to submit my mom's chili because it is the one I grew up on. This recipe is so good!! It is budget friendly and super easy! It is impossible to mess it up. In fact when I called my mother to get the recipe from her, she said "I don't have a chili recipe, I just make it." Thanks, mom! That is really not helpful! The point is, this recipe is all about what you like. Like it spicy, add more chili powder. Not so much, feel free to tone it down. If you are anything like my husband, add a little tabasco! I personally only use half an onion because I don't really like it.
So here it is! My mom's recipe for Classic Chili and Rice:
1 lb ground beef, sauteed with
1 med. onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
Add
2-3 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Simmer on low heat 1 to 2 hours. Serve over hot cooked rice and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. You will definitely want seconds!
So I am sure some of you are questioning the rice. That is the way we ate it when I was growing up. I didn't even realize that everyone didn't eat chili over rice until I got married and tried to serve this to my hubby. He refused to eat it with the rice at first! But he soon discovered, as you will too, that it is so good!
Do you have a good chili recipe? Head on over to Heidi's and join the Iron Chef fun!

6 comments:

Krystyn said...

Oh, I totally dislike onions (and garlic, too). Your mom sounds like mine..."I don't know, I just make it."

Your recipe sounds yummy.

Matt always did rice with his and I didn't get it.

Sometimes we do mashed potatoes..yum!

Or make a Frito pie! Extra yummy, and extra un-healthy!

heidi said...

yum! Clssic chili. Thanks for playing along!!!

heidi said...

Your recipe was picked randomly to be in the iron chef challenge! Good luck!!

purplemoose said...

Congrats on being picked! Your recipe sounds so much like mine, how funny is that?

heidi said...

We had your CHili for dinner the other night - it was yummy! I'll post a full review of all the chili recipes next Tuesday. Thank you for playing!

Pam said...

Totally random and old post to comment on but... apparently I was too busy Mardi Gras-ing it to have ever read it the 1st time. Sorry!;-)

Brad thought that rice was an odd bed-fellow for chili? Ask him what he thinks of macaroni and cheese.

My neighbor, born and breed in this same great state, serves her chili over mac & cheese and it's uncommonly delicious! I'm not talking your yellow box of Kraft either. Real mac & cheese with big elbow pasta.

I was resistant at first but it only took one bite to change my mind. Yum!